Search This Blog

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD: cold boot cannot detect the drive

Got a OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD 2.5inch SATA for my Dell Vostro V130. Installed Windows 7 from external DVD drive and it works fine until the computer is turned off. When I tried (cold) start the computer, error occurs: "Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key."

And if I Ctrl+Alt+Del to warm reboot the computer, the windows 7 starts without any problem. Then I realised that the cold start/boot cannot detect the OCZ Vertex 2 SSD drive until I do the warm reboot.

Google and found this is an known problem for OCZ SSD opened from Nov/2010 and has not been fixed.  The only hope is that the new firmware can fix it. It looks like hopeless though.

Only conclusion: I should never buy OCZ disks.

Update: change to IDE mode instead of AHCI mode, the cold boot can detect the drive and start the OS successfully. However, you need to reinstall the OS and the performance in IDE mode is a bit lower than AHCI mode.

Update2: new problem: lost all the changes when the computer is cold rebooted. Open a thread in OCZ forum. Have not got solution yet. 

Update3: the SSD is completely dead. Cannot be recognised by any computer. If it is connected, the computer cannot start. Have to return to the store for a replacement.

1 comment:

  1. You're not alone. I got a Corsair Force Series 60GB, installed in the same Dell V130 Vostro (I use Ubuntu 11.04 though) and every cold boot I'm greeted with this annoying message.

    It seems they share the same SandForce controller... maybe they are pretty much the same thing with different branding.

    Please keep me updated if you ever solve this issue!

    ReplyDelete